Friday, October 23, 2009

GOOD HAIR


Chris Rock's "Good Hair" starts today. This buzzworthy film has been the center of much controversy, from the lawsuits, to some accusing Rock of insulting the Black woman by letting others in on our "little secrets"; they are laughing at us rather than with us. I personally cant wait to see this documentary, I mean this is the Chris Rock that we love so much, the comic that attacks issues that affect the African American community with spot on humor and witty intelligence. For many women, not just women of color, their hair is their crown and glory, and Rock is exposing the great measures women take to maintain their glorious locks. As an African American woman that has worn my hair natural, relaxed, faded (so short I went to the barber), and weaved down my back, I can say with confidence that my hair does not define me. I use hair color, length, etc. just as I do any other beauty accessory, simply as an enhancement. With those enhancements, I have a few of my own personal hair horror stories. There were those times I sat in the stylist's chair refusing to inform her that the relaxer had my head on fire because I wanted my hair to reach its maximum silkiness; hey what's a few chemical burns. Or, perhaps there were those occasions that my hair was braided so tightly that I had to take Tylenol for pain relief. Then there was the time my stylist tried to "streak" the front of my hair, and it turned green. I could go on and on, so ladies we need to lighten up, we must admit some of the pain we endure for the sake of beauty can be humorous, and down right ridiculous. So, Rock being a man married to a lovely African American woman, with two beautiful Black little girls, I don't think it is his intent to insult the Black woman.

-The Style Maven

Photo Credit: Google

No comments:

Post a Comment